Tag Archive for St. Mary’s of Perpetual Help

Mary, Mary

On October 25, 1903, Chicago’s Polish newspapers proudly announced that Archbishop James Quigley had consecrated the new St. Mary’s Church of Perpetual Hope, creating the first Polish Roman Catholic Church in the country. This title was a long time coming for the congregation–the parish had been established 21 years earlier to serve Bridgeport’s growing Polish community.

Best of the South Side 2009: Bridgeport

Originally called Hardscrabble, Bridgeport began as a community of Irish-American canal workers paid for their labor with land deeds. While its segregation from the South Side’s black neighborhoods made it a hotbed of torrid racial relations up through the ’90s,…